Information and educational centre "The Russian Museum: the Virtual Branch" was opened on February 26, 2010.
Address: Kristiinankatu 8-10
Director: Mona Taipale
Phone: +358 40 522 6280
SOUTH KARELIA ART MUSEUM
Founded in 1965, the South Karelia Art Museum initially occupied the same premises as the South Karelia Museum of Cultural History, at the northern tip of the Lappeenranta Fortress. In the 1980s, the Art Museum moved to its present site in the neoclassic-style barracks (built in 1798), opposite the Orthodox Church. In 1986, the Art Museum became the Regional Art Museum of South-East Finland.
The museum is home to a collection of Finnish art from the mid-19th century to the present day. The museum’s largest single collection of old Finnish art was accumulated by Viipurin Taiteenyst?v?t ry (Vyborg Friends of Art); this collection includes works by many well-known artists such as Albert Edelfelt, Pekka Halonen, Tyko Sallinen, Hjalmar Munsterhjelm and Eero J?rnefelt. The collection has paintings by artists who were active in Vyborg or were born there. The contemporary art collections on the other hand focus in particular on art from south-east Finland, and include paintings by Leena Luostarinen, Unto Ahjotuli, Anne Tompuri, Irmeli Tarmo, Eeva Vesterinen, Heimo Suntio and Sinikka Kurkinen etc. etc.
Every year, the Art Museum also stages between three and four temporary exhibitions which feature both the latest trends in the world of art and works representing earlier periods in the history of art.
Located next to the reception there is also the museum gift shop which stocks a selection of books, art cards and jewellery.
More information www.lappeenranta.fi/?deptid=15045&languageid=11